Wine Tasting in the Mansion
Join us in the Mansion every Tuesday from 3 - 4pm for a complimentary Wine Tasting where you'll be able to sample a host of domestic and international wines. Each week we'll be showcasing a variety of local cheeses and as always, we'll be serving up incredible, panoramic views from the Rose Terrace.
Capitol Steps Cap a Perfect Berkshire NightFive of the funniest people on earth cap a perfect Berkshire evening with their delicious humorous look at the world we inhabit. The members of "Capitol Steps" who have taken up summer residence at the Cranwell Resort and Spa in Lenox (on the border of Lee, MA) are regaling audiences nightly (except Tuesdays) for the next two months and they are so welcome that they must be regarded as best friends back for a visit, one that you expect, and cherish.
For seven years they have been moving into the neighborhood. Their house is never finished and the changes they bring each year are always amazing. This season there are more innovations and realizations than ever as they satirize the goings on in Washington, DC and around the world. "Satire is what closes on Saturday night," wrote theatrical kingpin George S. Kaufman, but that isn't the case here. Here, satire is what makes the world go round. And you can quote me; I said that.
I also said that they cap the perfect Berkshire night. Here's how it should go. You settle down on the terrace at Cranwell at 5:15 with a well-made drink and admire the incredible views of Lee and Stockbridge and the surrounding hills. At 6:00 you move into your seats in the Wyndhurst dining room and begin a delectable meal. We had a fine Caesar Salad, Tuna prepared two ways, rack of lamb and a vegetable pasta with a divine sauce. We drank excellent wines, particularly a 2008 Col Solare from the Columbia Valley, a blend of Cabarnet Sauvignon, Merlot, Cabernet Franc and Syrah. We topped it off with a chocolate mousse cake that would convert a confirmed Vanilla fan and drank perfect coffee. Then we were transported to the other side of the campus for the show. What transpired in the basement room was an actual topper to that remarkable meal.
These people, as noted, are truly funny. They can wring a laugh out of health care issues. They can bring the return of Monica Lewinsky into sharp focus. The can even take the issue of same-sex marriage rights and turn it into a political statement about the practical use of issues to forge a union that, while unholy, wracks up re-election dollars (you'll have to see the show to find out who gets hitched!).
I wait each year for this troupe to bring to the Berkshires what most company's only dream about - absolute comedy without reservations. Although you should make reservations for dinner and the show. Without them you risk having an evening you'll regret. With them you'll have one you'll never forget. And that's no Lirty Die (see the show and you'll see what I mean).
Peter Bergman, Berkshire Bright Focus, 7/7/2014
Capitol Steps Return to CranwellEnjoy dinner before or after a show of hilarious political satire and song parodies with the nationally-acclaimed Capitol Steps, returning to Cranwell this summer. Since they began in 1981, the Capitol Steps have recorded over 34 albums including their just released "How to Succeed in Congress Without Really Lying." The Capitol Steps began as a group of Senate staffers who set out to satirize the very people and places that employed them. They’ve also been featured on NBC, CBS, ABC, and PBS, and can be heard 4 times a year on National Public Radio stations nationwide during their "Politics Takes a Holiday" radio specials.
- Convenient pre-show dining is available in the Mansion or at Sloane’s Tavern with the option of outdoor terrace seating overlooking the golf course
- Monday Night "All You Can Eat" BBQ at Sloane's Tavern, June 30 - Sept. 1, 5 - 8pm
- Music Room Lounge menu after the show until 11 pm, with international coffees and sumptuous desserts
Performances July 4 through August 31, 2014
Shows nightly at 8 pm, excluding Tuesdays
Show duration: 90 minutes
Tickets: $45 per person, open seating
Box Office: 413-881-1636 or purchase tickets on line.
Read what the critics have to say:
- "Among the best ensembles I've seen over several years... It's fun, and instructive." -- Richard Houdek, August 21, 2013, The Berkshire Eagle
- "This comedic troupe is on fire, fueled by the upcoming presidential election... No stone is left unthrown by these stone-faced satirists." -- Nichole Dupont, July 10, 2012, Rural Intelligence
- "Capitol Steps as sharp as ever... The cast is especially balanced and exceptionally adept at squeezing every laugh possible." -- Richard Houdek, July 18, 2012, The Berkshire Eagle
- "[The Capitol Steps perform] with charm and wit... A consistent pleasure."-- J. Peter Bergman, July 10, 2012, Edge Boston
- "They’re the best. There’s no one like them, no one in their league." -- Larry King, CNN
- “Some people in Washington are confused…the Capitol Steps are not.” -- Former Vice President Al Gore
- "[The Capitol Steps] had people chortling, giggling, snickering, shrieking and doubling over, nearly falling out of their seats, because they were laughing so hard." - -- Michael Janairo, Albany Times Union
- "I laughed so hard and so often that I forgot to write anything down - and had to buy the album just to write this review." -- J. Peter Bergman, Berkshire Bright Focus
- "Satirical, humorous, irreverent, lively, hilarious, energetic, and a treat." -- Shera Cohen, In the Spotlight
- "As fresh and funny as ever." -- Elyse Sommer, Curtain Up
- "[It's] 90 minutes of laughter therapy... The show remains smartly up-to-date." - -- Bess Hochstein, Rural Intelligence
Join us for Sunday Brunch
Join us every Sunday from 10am-2pm for our famous brunch buffet. Enjoy your meal in the Music Room of our beautiful Gilded Age Mansion or on the Rose Terrace (weather permitting) with spectacular Berkshire Mountain views and award-winning American Classic Cuisine. Choose from a large menu including roasted salmon, buttermilk pancakes, country sausage links, smoked bacon, omlets, and freshly squeezed orange juice. Call us anytime for more information and reservations at 800-272-6935.
See the full menu here.
Golf Course Now Open
The season is on and thanks to our grounds crew, the course is looking better than ever. Come on out for a round with our Spring season rates such as $45 including cart after 1:00 pm on weekends. Plus in 2014, children under 16 play free when accompanied by an adult paying a greens fee.
View our Greens Fees. For additional information, call our Pro Shop at 413-637-2563.
Cranwell Golf Memberships
As a member of the Cranwell Golf Club, you will have the opportunity to not only play on one of the best golf courses in the Berkshires as often as you like, but you will also have access to all of the wonderful amenities of our award-winning resort. Learn more about all the benefits of membership and join today.
New Menu at Sloane's TavernPitas and Flatbreads and Burgers, Oh My!
Sloane's Tavern is all spruced up for spring with a fresh new look and fresh new menu items. Here are just a few:
Housemade Snack Trio - Ioka Farm maple peanuts with crispy
garbanzo beans, spicy pumpkin seeds and trail mix
- Lobster Sliders
- Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad
- Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Flatbread
- Grilled Vegetable Pita
The Greek Housemade Burger - Ground lamb, mint and parsley,
topped with olive tapenade, spinach and feta
- Chocolate Truffle Bars